Amy was born and raised in Pennsylvania with 90% of her childhood on a hobby farm in Lehigh County and the other 10% spent in exotic places like Grand-View-on-Hudson, New York, Bay Head, New Jersey and England, Ireland, and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She hardly watched television as a child —other than sneaking the occasional episode of “Little House on the Prairie” and “Gilligan’s Island”— and spent almost every free moment playing outside: trying to control the nearby creek by shifting rocks, building forts in the woods, riding ponies, jumping from hay lofts, and sledding down the hillside behind the barn. Her family dabbled in being Mennonite based on her parents’ desire to be Conscientious Objectors instead of victims of the Vietnam War. Amy doesn’t mind having been raised “in a bubble” —in fact she feels it was perfectly peaceful in there— and she is clinging to her rural life in Vermont so she can provide a “bubble” for her own three children and their possible offspring (though she isn’t holding her breath for that).
Amy’s blog (#ParkTV As I See It) is based on her passion for her family’s small town life in Rochester, Vermont, a way of living she feels is intentionally and rapidly disappearing across the United States.
Currently an Outdoor Educator for a public school in Vermont, Amy has taught for over twenty-five years collectively in Pennsylvania, Arizona, and Vermont. Her favorite time of the school day is story time and her second favorite time of the day is “Forest Time.”